Failure to Launch

To all of you following our misadventures, this is a sad one.  Most of you have realized that our initial launch to cross the Gulf of Alaska has hit a few speed bumps or, if you rather, big waves.  If you were following our progress on the Delorme map, you could probably tell that our progress during our crossing from the Hinchenbrook Narrows was beginning to get rather slow.  Our attempt was severely diminished by the natural current pushing directly on our nose, coupled with the 30 to 35 knots of wind directly on our nose.  There were extreme gusts getting up near the 40's and then there were the waves occasionally coming over the bow and pilot house.  To make matters worse, I had become sea sick for the first time in my life.  All of that is the normal part of the trip and was not the worst of it.  Allow me to back up a few days.

The first issue that plagued us was a broken-down truck.  The abridged version is as follows: we borrowed my dads truck as Debbie and I had sold both of our vehicles.  The truck has always been a good runner and would easily transport the crew and my daughter (she would be returning the truck to dad).  Unfortunately we started overheating about 60 miles out of Valdez.  After some minor troubleshooting and the removal of a suspected bad thermostat, we continued on to Valdez without trouble.  The following day I replaced the thermostat and radiator cap for good measure only to find that we actually had a blown head on the truck.  I suspected a head gasket from the symptoms, and went to look for someone in Valdez that could repair the truck.  There was no one who could take on the job.  I went into overdrive with Debbie's help, trying to find a way to get my daughter back home safely as well as find a way to get the truck somewhere for repairs.  Additionally I was attempting to finish a few last projects on the boat I deemed critical for the passage.  NONE of it was coming together especially as the other shoe dropped.

I had managed to get a ride for my daughter and was working on getting a friend of mine to drive the 360 miles to Valdez with a trailer in tow just to turn around and drive back with the truck on said trailer.  A huge thank you to my friend Randy for stepping up at the critical moment.  In the middle of trying to herd all these cats, I received a devastating call from my oldest son.  As he was on the phone with me, he had the paramedics and troopers at his home.  His youngest son had passed at just two months old.  He was obviously devastated and I was a world away trying to give comfort and advice.  It dawned on me that all the mental prep I had done for just this kind of scenario was useless.  After some serious grieving with my wife and daughter, we pulled ourselves together and completed the plans we had been put in motion.

I continued to work on TQT to complete our trip across the gulf.  My grandson would need an autopsy before he could be properly laid to rest.  I thought we would travel back up from Juneau.  So I broke my first rule...I rushed!  We were already a day late launching out of Valdez, and I pressed us to go.  That's when the proverbial third shoe kicked me right in the ass (that being the bad weather) sending us into the horrible conditions that ultimately sent me back to where I needed to be, with my oldest son.

Three days later I was back in Valdez and looking for a way to Fairbanks.  Upon returning to the docks, we then learned of the passing of our brother-in-law John in Pennsylvania.  He had actually passed two days after our grandson, while we were out at sea.  While walking our dog Sydney and going through some of the emotopns, my beautiful wife managed to connect with some true Alaskans.  When they heard our story, they insisted that we simply take their car to Fairbanks and be with the family.  The turnaround from our trip, and the good fortune to run into some very kind Christian folks, was a blessing as my grandson had been returned to the family earlier than expected, and the memorial and services would be the next day.

I had already planned a trip from Juneau on the 8th of July to see my second son graduate from Marine boot camp.  I changed travel plans left  from Fairbanks to San Diego.  I proudly watched my son cross from civilian to Marine with his mother, my daughter, and family friends.  It was a good day.  I spent four fantastic days with my son and daughter, between Las Vegas and San Diego.  It was the last time that the three of us would be together for some time.

I have since returned to my beautiful wife in Valdez and we are patiently waiting for the weather to improve so we can attempt the crossing of the Gulf again.  This time we will travel alone without a third set of hands.  I feel good about the delay in retrospect.  We were where we needed to be because of it.. lesson learned!  We are not in a rush...we are enjoying life!  Pura Vida!

~ Paul

Comments

  1. I finally had to search for you and deb!! I had lost the name you guys wrote for me!! All I can say is WOW! You guys have had the ultimate test!! My thoughts and prays are with you guys! May you guys continue your dream with less obstacles mentally and physically! Good luck guys!!

    Btw deb.. I see Paul can get his hair in a pony tail now! 😉 miss seeing you two in the salon! Take care!!

    -Steffani from 907 organic hair care

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Three Quarter Time is for SALE!

TQT Excuses